Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

HISTORIC DAY: Eyin clinches Malaysia's 1,000th Sea Games gold medal

Phoon Eyin performing a routine in the qiangshu event in the Sea Games in Naypyidaw yesterday.
New Straits Times (10 Dec 2013): Phoon Eyin had it tough en route to making her Sea Games debut as she had to sit for her Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia exam and also focus on training. But her sacrifices paid off yesterday when Eyin etched her name in Sea Games history by winning Malaysia's 1,000th gold medal on her debut in Naypyitaw.

Eyin was in near-perfect form as she twisted and turned with her spear for a high scoring 9.67 total to win the women's qiangshu title. It was a memorable win as she did better than her more experienced rivals. Vietnam's Thuy Vi Duong was the favourite but a mistake cost her dearly and finished second with 9.59 while Myanmar's Asian Games silver medallist Sandy Oo took bronze on 9.39.

The pressure was on Eyin, who took the jianshu bronze two days ago, to win Malaysia's 1,000th gold after controversial judging robbed Ho Mun Hua of the gold medal in the men's nandao event earlier yesterday. National Sports Council (NSC) athletes division acting director Ariffin Ghani presented the medals.

A delighted Eyin said at Wunna Theikdi Indoor Stadium said: "I dedicate this medal to all Malaysians. It is the happiest day of my life as it was unexpected. I am here to gain some experience on my debut. "I did not feel the pressure when it was my turn to perform on the carpet. My coaches advised me to do what I had learnt in training. I tried my best and was rewarded today."

Eyin, a Form Five science stream student with Bukit Jalil Sports School, sat for her final SPM paper just a few days before leaving for Naypyidaw. It was tough for the 17-year-old to balance exams and training in Kuala Lumpur.

"I only attended afternoon training sessions during SPM. It was tough but I managed my time properly as I also needed to commit to training for six hours a day. It is important to have a paper qualification to fall back on after I retire. I am confident of achieving three As in the exam but for now, I only want to focus on wushu," she said.

Eyin, a national back-up squad member for the last two years, made her breakthrough by winning the compulsory nanquan at last month's World Championships in Kuala Lumpur.

"Winning the world title was the greatest moment of my life but delivering Malaysia's 1,000th title is something that I will cherish forever."

National coach Yoong Thong Foong said Eyin performed superbly to earn a world class score. "It is not easy to earn 9.67 points in spear events as exponents are prone to mistakes. It was an outstanding performance. She is a hard worker in training. I knew she would win after the Vietnam exponent made a mistake. I was already celebrating then," said Thong Foong.

RESULTS (Malaysia unless stated) --

Men's Nandao: 1 Aung Wai Phyo (Mya) 9.69 pts, 2 Ho Mun Hua 9.68, 3 Pham Quoc Khanh (Vie) 9.67.

Daoshu: 1 Achmad Hulaefi (Ina) 9.70, 2 Nguyen Manh Quyen (Vie) 9.68, 3 Ng Say Yoke 9.67.

Women's Qiangshu: 1 Phoon Eyin 9.67, 2 Thuy Vi Duong (Vie) 9.59, 3 Thalia Lovita Sosrodjojo (Ina) 9.40.

Nangun: 1 Juwita Niza Wasni Wasni (Ina) 9.64, 2 Ivana Ardelia Irmanto (Ina) 9.61, 3 Diana Bong Siong Lin 9.49.

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/from-books-to-spear

No comments:

Post a Comment